Monday 23 March 2015

Evaluation question 1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My task consisted of me producing a promotional package for an existing song. The song i chose was 'Ode to Viceroy' by Mac Demarco. I was to undergo extensive planning and research and when finished create and upload my final product to Youtube. The second half o my brief was to create a six panel digipak and a music magazine advert for my chosen song. I will be analyzing how i used, developed or challenged the forms or real media products compare to my own media products.

In Mac Demarco's music video for 'Ode to Viceroy', there is no certain subject or basis that the video follows, it is completely abstract, if anything the video follows Demarco in his usual life, mainly smoking, this i done in response to the title of the song. An 'Ode' is a poem or sonata to a person or an object and 'Viceroy' is a cigarette company who produce cigarettes. So if anything, this music video is a song for Viceroy, and even Demarco has confirmed this, expressing his love for these cigarettes. This is basis that i chose to incorporate into my own music video, just to add a background. The song is very slowly with emphasis on the use of guitar chords to add a chilled/relaxed effect. Therefore i felt as if i had also better represent this through the use of cinematography, so i decided to use long shots, for example if the son was more up beat i would use shots ranging from 1-3 seconds long, however i chose to make mine 3-7 seconds long. I did this on the basis on my own personal experiences, i found watching slow beat songs with long shots, released a relaxed experience and i found this a lot better than a slow beat song placed with a music video with quick shots.

With the music video Mac Demarco is strongly featured throughout, this gave me the impression that it is always important to at least feature your artist in your video. As i was the only person i found willing to star in my own product, i am featured in it quite a lot, this is done in response to Ode to Viceroy.















My response in my final product:














I followed certain mise-en-scene elements of the original music video, such as some of the costumes, long coats, checkered shirts. Other elements were the types of locations, bedrooms, woodlands, roads and objects i used were the strong use of smoking, either from real cigarettes like Mac Demarco does in the original music video or from electronic cigarettes. Another aspect of his video i incorporated into my own product was the smoke, i found that if i could find different colours to use in the shots a long with the smoke it would give off some great effects, for example i have some water speakers that change colour, so i dimmed the lighting in the room turned on the speakers and the whole room had a blue, purple, green effect to it. I experimented by smoking in the room to see what the effects were and i found that they were great an could be added to the video. This is my own response to Mac Demarcos original video. I included other aspects of the original video by including quick shots or random locations, mainly outdoors in the countryside, Demarco however includes these shots but of city landscapes. For n audience who watch pop or rock music videos this would add confusion to the video for them, however if someone who watches indie music videos, this would make them feel as if they can relate to the video an express their feelings towards their music genre.






















My response in my final product:













Within my music video i used a wide variety of conventions to make my product look as professional as possible. To find these certain conventions i did a lot of research on the indie genre. I believe myself that it is important to follow certain conventions found within music videos which are dedicated to different genres, in his case indie. Indie has many sub genres in itself such as indie rock or indie pop. Mac Demarco himself comes under the sub genre of indie rock, elements within this genre include; Guitar, vocals, bass, drums and keyboards. Therefore by adding slow/long shots i am supporting this genre within my music video. To add  greater feeling and depth towards my product i added some transitions, fade transitions were the best i found and used them quite heavily to make the shots flow together, i also used cross dissolves. Another effect i added to a lot of my video was the colour effects, mainly one called 'Combat', i think this effect worked very strongly in portraying an indie music video and that's why i wanted to use it as regularly as possible in my product, it also added to colour scheme and was able to complete my ancillary texts on the basis of this colour effect.

When making my music magazine advert i made sure to include the following; Release date, artist, album and song name, label logos and where it is available to purchase.

When it finally came to creating my digipak, i didn't really have clue how to set it out, or what images to incorporate into it. Therefore i did more research into indie digipaks and see what they place in their digipaks and why. The results i found showed that most indie digipaks were very abstract from that of another genre. For example Olly Murs is a pop artist and nearly every single digipak of his includes imagery of him as apposed to the indie digipaks i found, for example, a previous indie band i looked at in my digipak research was 'The blackout', their album 'The best in town' simply consisted of an artists artwork, instead of actually using real images in their digipak. Their digipak artwork had no relation to their songs, just the colour scheme or the art, this is something i took inspiration from when making my own. Therefore i decided to just use the colour schemes from my music video as a main priority for my digipak and magazine advert.

In my music video i used a fish eye lens for one of the opening scenes. I got the idea from the real music video for 'Ode to Viceroy'. By using a fish eye lens this created distorted views for the audience when viewing my product as well as recognizing it as a convention in the original  music video. In my music video i decided to include close up shots of the protagonist in  order to easily portray the emotions of the protagonist. I have used close up shots when the protagonist lights up a cigarette to reinforce the title of the song; the title of the song 'Ode to Viceroy' literally means a poem or song to the cigarette company 'Viceroy'. Therefore i thought this would be relevant in my music video.

I decided to use a fast pan in a scene of my music video in order to connote ideas of confusion to the audience. By using a fast pan i was able to easily portray the effects cigarettes have on the mind and body to audience accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment